Wednesday, August 10, 2011

lil ol' me.

Tonight while I was jammin' to some tunes on the elliptical I glanced up at the television and caught CNN covering the drought and famine crisis in East Africa. They showed woman and their babies laying around- the babies being fed through tubes. I wanted to vomit. I suddenly felt overly guilty about all the food I've wasted in my life, devastated that while life goes on so easily in some places, it most certainly doesn't in others, and anxious to help. I know that there is a number that I can probably call to donate money but as much as that is needed I don't think it would satisfy me. The reality is that I am just one tiny spec on this planet and I can't change the world by myself. I suppose that is why I became a doula- to help individuals achieve a satisfying birth. I have this feeling a lot. I see something on the news and I want to grab my picket signs, march out the front door and change the world. Maybe one day when the boys are older I can actively do things to make small changes but until then I will just pray continuously for those less fortunate and count my blessings for all that I have.

1 comments:

Jessica said...

This challenges me because a) I'm addicted to myself and so often only give thought to the world that is me, my family, my friends, etc. b) I'm not keeping track of current events. I need to. So I can at least pray and be grateful like my friend Amber.

Post a Comment

 
;